What a way to wake up! I’m talking about waking up to the sweet, Christmasy aroma of apple cinnamon pancakes, obviously.
Apple and cinnamon is a classic combination but you what would make this combo even better? Moringa! I picked up a bag of Aduna moringa powder a few days ago and ever since I’ve been itching to use it. I’ve never used moringa before so I wasn’t sure what I wanted to create with it. I thought about a cleansing green juice or a moringa and pineapple smoothie but then I woke up on Sunday and all I could think about was pancakes.
Often referred to as the ‘miracle tree’, moringa, or moringa oleifera to use its scientific name, is native to Africa and Asia. It has a bright green hue and tastes earthy, somewhat like matcha.
- Great source of plant protein & all 9 essential amino acids for maintain or growing muscle mass
- High in fibre for healthy bowels
- Rich in iron to reduce tiredness & fatigue
- Calcium for bone health
- Vitamin A for eye health
- Vitamin E & C for healthy skin and fighting ageing free radicals
- Vitamin K for bone health and blood clotting
- Super high in antioxidants
- Natural adaptogen to help your body cope with stress
But be aware of imposters! Make sure you are buying good quality, pure moringa not a low grade imposter. This goes for all superfoods, health powders and supplements.
¼ cup apple sauce*
½ tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup gluten free oat flour
¼ cup brown rice flour
½ tsp moringa powder
1 tbsp coconut sugar
¼ tsp vanilla
¾ cup almond milk
½ tsp bicarb of soda
½ tsp raw apple cider vinegar
Coconut oil for the pan
Raw chocolate sauce
- Add everything except the bicarb, apple cider vinegar and milk to a bowl and mix.
- Add the bicarb and apple cider vinegar (they’ll react & froth). Let it do its thing for about 30 seconds before adding the milk.
- Whisk the milk into the mixture until you achieve a pancake consistency.
- Put a little coconut oil into a frying pan and heat on a medium heat.
- Once hot, lower the heat and add a ladle worth of pancake mixture.
- Cook for about 2 mins before flipping. [It’s better to be patient & cook them on a lower heat for longer, rather than on a higher heat and burning the outside but not cooking the inside].
- Repeat until you’ve used all the mix.
- You may need to reheat the pancakes in a microwave or the oven before topping with raw chocolate, pomegranate seeds and kiwi.
No-one stacks up to you x 🥞