I am into week 3 of my FODMAP elimination diet and I discovered that I CAN HAVE POPCORN!!! 🍿🙌 Yup, popcorn is low FODMAP and the toffee sauce is too (as long as you don’t eat too much).
This popcorn is perfect for a 3 pm pick me up or after dinner treat, or even better, a pamper night in; what goes better with popcorn than pyjamas, a film and a face mask?
Providing the right amount of indulgence without feeling guilty, overstuffed or sick; I honestly think this toffee popcorn is superior to anything you could buy in a shop. Not only does it taste better, it’s better for you. I suppose you could call it: The Corn Supremacy.
For the popcorn
1/3 cup corn kernels
coconut oil for pan
For the toffee sauce
1/2 cup maple syrup
3 tbsp coconut sugar
3 – 4 heaped tbsp almond butter
¼ tsp cinnamon
- Put a large sauce pan on a medium heat. Add a little oil and 1 corn kernel. Pop a lid on the pan. When the corn pops, you know the pan is the right temperature to make popcorn.
- Reduce the heat to low and remove the piece of popcorn.
- Add the unpopped corn kernels(small handfuls at a time work best so the corn has room to pop) and pop the lid on.
- Repeat until all the popcorn is done.
- Now it’s time for the toffee sauce. Pop a pan on a med/low heat and gently heat the syrup and coconut sugar.
- Once the sugar has dissolved add the nut butter and cinnamon. Stir regularly until a thickened but still pourable toffee sauce is created.
- Pour the source over the popcorn and mix to ensure all the popcorn is coated.
- Transfer the popcorn to a lined baking tray and bake for 5 minutes at 180°c to create a crunchier popcorn.
This might sound corn-y but you’re a-maize-ing. 😜