What could be more delicious than chocolate and strawberries for breakfast?
This breakfast bowl is reminisant of my childhood coco pops and strawberry milk shakes. However, unlike the former, this version contains no dairy, no refined ingredients and is vegan and FODMAP friendly.
Traditionally granola is made with oats, and whist oats are oatally great, sometimes it nice to switch things up and have something a little different to not only supply your body with different nutrients but to excite your taste buds and get a little creative in the kitchen.
If you’re thinking seeds are just for birds, you can think again. And if you think this granola tastes anything like bird seed:
1) why are you eating bird seed?
2) It doesn’t (I mean as far I know, I haven’t actually eaten bird feed.)
Soooo what makes seeds so super?
Think about it, seeds have the potential to grow in to complex plants, thus they’re highly nutritious.
They are a great source of fiber, plant based protein, vitamins B and E, mineral such as copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus and zinc, mono and polyunsaturated fats (omegas) and antioxidants.
Inluding these nutrition powerhouses in your diet could help reduce blood sugar levels, lower cholesterol and blood pressure, boost immunity, energy levles and brain function, contribute to healthy hair, skin and nails.
Trust me, this grain free granola with strawberry milk tastes so good it’s hard to resist eating it all! Although, things always taste best freshly baked so….
For the granola
¼ cup pecans
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
1/8 cup chia seeds
1/8 cup flax seeds
½ cup toasted coconut flakes
1/8 cup cacao powder
½ tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp almond cutter
1/8 cup maple syrup
For the milk
1 cup nut milk
Handful fresh or frozen strawberries*
Scoop vegan protein (optional)
*I actually used a mix of frozen raspberries & strawberries
- Preheat your oven to 180°C
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, adding the nut butter and maple last. [to make mixing easier, pop the nut butter & maple syrup in pan on a low heat until they melt together & pour over the seed mix]
- Bake for about 10 minutes. You’ll love the aroma of chocolate that will fill your kitchen.
- Whilst the granola bakes, place all the milk ingredient in a blender & blend until combined.
- Let the granola cool a little, then pour into a bowl and top with the granola, some fresh fruit and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Or perhaps some yogurt.
Chocolatey, crunchy, sweet, colourful and wholesome; what more could you want? I just don’t gra-KNOW-la. 🤷