So sad times, that blissful weather that I was raving about only last week seems to have been and gone. I swear it’s like the sun knew I had just purchased shorts. However, according to the weather forecast we may have one last sunny weekend, which means one last bbq.
In our family there are a few bbq essentials:
- A big salad 🥗
- Sausages (I love these veggie ones by Linda McCartney)🌭
- Burgers (my fav is beet burgers) 🍔
- Rolls 🍞
- Vegetable skewers 🌽
- Chicken skewers 🍗
- Drinks 🍻
Whilst everybody else enjoys their meal with some fancy, indulgent or packet sauce, I tend to be boring and have plain chicken. What can I say? This girl AIN’T bout that processed packet life/can’t cope with ANY trace of spice/is MAJORLY intolerant to any trace of dairy.
I don’t know what came over me, last weekend I grabbed a few ingredients and made myself a marinade. I didn’t plan it, I just winged it (as I do 99% of the time when I’m cooking/baking) and I didn’t intend on sharing the recipe with you guys but it tasted so good I had to share. Plus, I love you guys!
Serves 1/makes 2 skewers
1 chicken breast
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp vegan yogurt (I used Alpro)
1 tbsp passata
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp ginger
Pinch pink salt & black pepper
Extras for the bbq
A couple of soaked skewers
Oil for the grill
- Add all the marinade ingredients into a bowl and mix.
- Chop your chicken into bite sized pieces and add to the bowl. Generously coat in the marinade.
- Cover and place in the fridge to marinate for at least an hour (up to 24).
- Skewer your chicken.
- Turn the chicken every few minutes whilst it’s cooking to ensure an even cook. Cook until golden and slightly charred.
Serve with coriander dressed salad, squeeze of lemon, drizzle of yogurt and a scattering of spring onions.
Hope the weather is bliss where you are. x