Since discovering I am intolerant to bananas, I have been missing my smoothie bowls. Without that sweet, creamy banana my smoothies just haven’t been right; thin, bland and not creamy enough.
On a quest to find an alternative smoothie base to my beloved bananas and create delicious smoothies once more, I discovered ‘banana free smoothie cubes’ by Feasting on Fruit. With a few alterations to make it low FODMAP and extra creamy and because I have no hemp seeds, I tried them out.
The verdict? It’s no banana but these creamy smoothie cubes do make my smoothies beautifully thick and ice cream like so it’s definitely a MASSIVE improvement on my watery, bland offerings of the past few weeks.
Give them a go and let me know what you think; feel free to dabble with the ingredients to find a mix that works just right for you.
Adapted from feasting on fruit
3/4 cup peeled courgette
¼ cup peeled aubergine (or sub for cooked cauliflower)
5 medjool dates
¼ cup chia seeds
1 tbsp coconut yogurt
Heaped tbsp almond butter
Drizzle maple/sweetener (optional)
Pinch pink salt
2 cups nut milk
Scoop neutral/vanilla protein powder (optional)
- Boil the courgette and aubergine until soft
- Drain and add to a blender along with the rest of the ingredients
- Blend until smooth
- Pour into an ice tray [I only have a tiny ice tray so I used silicone muffin cases but they were a bit too big]
- Freeze for at least 4 hours
- Use as needed. Take one out of the freezer, blend into your smoothie for thick, creamy smoothies without bananas. They’ll keep in the freezer for a couple of months.