What’s my favourite cake? You’re looking at it. I am BANANAS for banana bread. And you know what else I love; chocolate and cinnamon. So why not combine them to create the most delicious chocolate swirl cinnamon banana bread!
For a long time, I thought I hated bananas and I wasn’t bothered by cake. That was, until I discovered banana bread, thank you Barbados! Turns out I just hadn’t found my kinda cake.
My dad’s is all for the Victoria sponge, my mum is more strawberry shortcake and my sister is all about the lemon drizzle but I am 100% for banana bread. Oh, and bonus, no-one else in my family likes banana bread which means more cake for me.😏🙌
There are a million variations on banana breads but my favourites are:
- RUM SPICED; 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp mixed spice & 2 shots rum
- NUT & CARAMELISED NANA; crumbled walnuts & caramelised banana halves on top
- THIS version made with melted raw chocolate swirled mixed into the already delicious batter
Makes 1 small loaf
For the cake
2 medium/large ripe bananas
1/3 cup coconut oil + extra for greasing your tin
¼ cup honey/maple syrup
1 ½ cups almond flour
¼ cup buckwheat flour
¼ cup coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp pink salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tbsp banana powder (optional)
For the sauce
1 ½ tbsp cacao powder
Few tbsp hot water
1 tbsp honey/syrup
- If needed, preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Mash the bananas.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk the egg, oil and syrup in a separate bowl.
- Make a little well/hole in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the wet mix to the dry mix.
- Set aside whilst you make the chocolate mix.
- In a bowl, add cacao, salt, cinnamon and sweetener of your choice. Mix and then gradually add in water a tbsp at a time until you make a thick but runny sauce.
- Add the chocolate sauce to the banana bread mix and gently swirl it through, but don’t fully combine it or you’ll end up with chocolate cake.
- Pour into a lined and greased tin and bake at 180°C for about 40 minutes.
- Turn out and allow to cool before drizzling peanut butter on top and scattering with cacao nibs.
This banana bread tastes amazing; potatssiYUM!
Enjoy and have a wonderful day x