So, last week an unexpected friend turned up. After 15 months of having no period, last Monday I woke up to a special delivery from mother nature. If you’re female, you know what that time of the month means; CHOCOLATE. And basically, craving a lot more sweet stuff/food in general.
I should have known she was coming; a week prior I had stomach ache, bloating, cravings for cake, chocolate and fruit and a desire to eat more carbs than I usually do, i.e. pasta, toast, flat bread…repeat.
I shouldn’t fuss about it, it’s a good sign. A sign that my body is healing, I’m healthier, and fingers crossed I’m chilling out a little. Plus, I got to create these muffins! I’m really happy with how they turned out. It’s not easy creating dairy free, gluten free, refined sugar free muffins that:
- are light and fluffy
- taste delicious
These babies are all the above. Plus, they’ll satisfy those PMS cravings with real, nourishing, wholefoods.
- Natural sweetness
- Complex carbohydrates
- Healthy fat
- Raw chocolate
Makes 6 muffins
1 large very ripe banana
¼ cup melted coconut oil
2-3 tbsp maple syrup
30 ml almond milk*
½ cup buckwheat flour
½ cup almond flour
1 scoop raw banana protein powder (or vanilla)
½ tsp baking soda
½ -1 tsp cinnamon (I used more because I love cinnamon)
¼ – ½ tsp mixed spice
Pinch pink salt
50 g raw chocolate (I used conscious)
*for a vegan version, sub for 1 flax/chia egg.
*you may need more milk if the mixture is too dry, you’re aiming for a spoonable batter.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grease 6 muffin cases with a little coconut oil.
- Beat the egg, oil, maple syrup and milk until well combined (1-2 mins).
- In a separate bowl, mash the banana, add the flour, baking soda, protein powder, spice and salt. Mix until combined.
- Transfer the banana mix to the egg mix and stir together.
- Break up the chocolate into chunks, add and stir into the muffin mix.
- Spoon into muffin cases.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until risen, cooked through (when a skewer come out clean) and golden.
I wish you muffin but happiness x