This recipe is for all you jammy loved up people.
As I perused my Mum’s cookbooks whilst waiting for my peppermint tea to brew, I came across a recipe for ‘jam buns’ which made my tummy rumble with excitement. Me being the owner of one EXTREMELY sensitive gut, I couldn’t just follow the given recipe of wheat flour, sugar and alllll the dairy so experimented with my own low fodmap, gluten and dairy free version.
Despite replacing pretty much every ingredient, these thumbprint cookies or ‘buns’ are totally delicious, especially combined with sweet, sticky chia jam.
Chia jam thumbprint cookies; they’re my jam.
And if, like me, you find yourself alone this Valentine’s day, just remember that you can still enjoy the champagne, chocolate and chia jam thumbprint cookies and you don’t have to share any of it!
½ cup almond flour
½ cup gluten free oat flour
¼ cup gluten free oats
1 tbsp vegan protein powder (optional)
1 tbsp coconut sugar
½ tsp vanilla
¼ cup maple
1 ½ tbsp melted coconut oil
1 tbsp cacao powder
2 handfuls frozen berries (I used strawberry & blueberry)
1 tbsp chia seeds
- Add all the ingredients (expect the cacao) to a bowl. Mix well until the mixture comes together in a ball.
- Take a small clump of mixture and roll it into a ball. Flatten it a little and press your thumb into the center. Transfer to a baking tray.
- Repeat until you have used up half the mixture.
- Add the cacao to rest of the mixture and combine. If the mix is a little too dry add a tiny splash of almond milk or water.
- Repeat step two.
- Bake for 10 – 15 mins.
- Meanwhile…add your berries to a jug/ big mug and microwave for 2 mins to defrost and break the berries down. Or pop in a pan on the hob.
- Add the chia seeds and cinnamon.
- Blend with a hand blender.
- Allow the cookies and jam to cool before spooning the jam into the thumbprints.
Happy Valentine’s everyone; go spread love (& jam) x ❤️