Is your tummy resembling the shape of a large Easter egg? Yup, mine too. Don’t worry a little indulgence now and then is totally okay but it you’re wanting to feel eggcellent again, may I introduce this chocolate cleansing nectarine and super greens smoothie.
On Easter Sunday, I kid you not, I ate chocolate for breakfast (pancakes), after lunch (1/2 a melted IQ ginger & ginseng bar with my homemade banana bread) and for dessert (nibbling on conscious chocolate maca & rose).
This time last year I probably would have felt so guilty and spent at least half an hour jogging/jumping/crunching before going to bed but you know what, ‘ain’t nobody got time for dat’. Don’t waste time feeling guilty for eating too much or moving too little, as long as your healthy habits outweigh your unhealthy ones then it’s a-okay to let go every now and then. However, if you have woken up today feeling the need for something nourishing and cleansing then this green smoothie is perfect.
If you’re not a fan of the ‘greens taste’ I can assure you that nectarine does a brilliant job at disguising any grassy/pondesque flavour. [side note: tropical fruit, especially pineapple and mango, also mask the taste of greens very well].
I have to say, I actually like the taste of greens; I have been known to happily eat a bowl of nothing but broccoli, spinach and kale. However, I am very aware that most people do not favour the flavour *ahem mother* and powdered greens like spirulina can be pretty potent in taste… but also health benefits.
Spirulina foodie facts:
- it’s a microalgae that grows in warm alkaline lakes
- protein dense to keep you fuller for longer and promote weight loss
- boosts immunity to fight disease including cancerous cells
- contains a pigment called ‘phycocyanin’ to lower blood pressure
- lowers cholesterol
- rich source of micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) including: vitamin B1, B2, B3, iron, copper, magnesium, potassium and manganese
- gram for gram it is the MOST NUTRIENT DENSE FOOD ON THE PLANET
Let’s start over with a green slate.
1 frozen banana
1 nectarine (or apricot or peach)
1 small handful spinach
1 small handful kale
1 tsp alkalising greens powder* (I used Nature’s Heart alkalising superpowder)
½ tsp spirulina*
1 scoop vegan vanilla protein powder (I used Revolution Foods raw sport in vanilla cinnamon)
¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
*sub for matcha or you can eliminate
*did you know you can get 100g spirulina for £2.49 in Aldi UK
- Put all your ingredients in your blender and blend until smooth like whipped ice cream
- Top with:🌰something crunchy: nuts/seeds/granola/coconut chips,🍓something fresh: fruit 🥑a healthy fat: nuts/chia seeds/nut butter
Hope you had a cracking long Easter weekend x
P.s I am so sorry for the delayed release of my e-book SMOOTHIE OPERATOR, I was waiting on Amazon’s approval. But I can now announce…