I don’t know whether it’s the cold weather or my extreme fatigue of late, but all I am craving for lunch/dinner is a nourishing, warm bowl of soup. This green soup is full of alkalising greens, fatigue fighting iron and anti-inflammatory spices to make both your taste buds and your internal organs happy.
Kale and spinach are high in iron which helps fight fatigue and plays a role in supplying oxygen to working muscles, hence the name ‘Hulk’ soup.
Before I had my jaw surgery at 17, and was forced to eat liquidised food, I never understood the appeal of soup. Especially green soup, it looked like pureed pond water. Ha! What a naive fool I was.
Soup is delicious, comforting and highly nutritious. I love soups in every shade of the rainbow; Purple (beetroot), orange (carrot/sweet potato/butternut squash), white (potato and leek) etc. However, this soup, along with chunky butternut squash soup, is one of my favourites.
It’s souper. You’re gonna love it.
1 garlic clove
¼ onion (red or white)
1 cup cubed courgette
¼ cup red lentils
1 cup vegetable stock*
1 cup water (if water level runs low)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
½ tsp basil**
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp turmeric
Pinch salt & pepper
1 tsp coconut oil
*I made my own with by simmering onion, garlic, leek, celery, carrot, parsnips, pinch turmeric, pinch nutmeg, pinch salt & pepper.
**coriander and lemon juice also work well
- Place a pan on a medium heat. Add the coconut oil along with the sliced garlic and onion. [Don’t worry about chopping things up neatly it’s all going to be blended.]
- Then add the courgette and give everything a toss.
- Add the cumin and turmeric. Stir to ensure a even spread of the spices.
- Once the onion and garlic have some colour/have soften a little add the vegetable stock, followed by the lentils.
- Lower the heat and let the vegetables simmer and soften for about 15 minutes. KEEP AN EYE ON THE WATER LEVEL. You do not want your vegetables to burn.
- Now add the kale, stir and leave to simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat. Transfer the contents to a blender. Add the spinach and avocado. Blend until fairly smooth.
- Transfer the soup mix back to the pan and onto a very low heat.
- Stir in the apple cider vinegar before sprinkling in the basil. Allow to gently simmer for 2 minutes or so.
- Pour into a bowl and serve with poached egg, grilled mushrooms, nuts, seeds, shredded chicken, white fish or salmon. Enjoy!
Thanks for visiting my blog, have a souper day!
P.s feeling generous? Give me a follow on Instagram @karmafuture